St John’s (full dedication; St John the Baptist) is the daughter church to St Catherine’s on Abergele Road, which is the Parish church, built in 1837.
In the 1890s, services at St Catherine’s were generally conducted in the Welsh language. St John’s was built primarily for the benefit of the growing English speaking community, during a period considered the golden age of English domestic architecture.
The architect of St John’s Church was John Douglas of Cheshire, a noted Victorian architect who was a partner of Douglas, Minshull and Co. On 18th October 1899, the foundation stone of St John’s Church was laid by Mrs. Eleanor Frost a wealthy lady who was the occupant of Min y Don Hall in nearby Beach Road. Mrs. Frost donated the fittings for the chancel, including the decoration, the carved oak reredos, altar, rails, screen and oak pulpit. Many of the fine oak carvings depict floral motifs. The walls of the church and tower are of local limestone with red sandstone dressings. Roofs are of green slate with red terracotta ridge tiles
The Church was consecrated on August 13th 1903. The church bell was also cast in 1903 with an inscription; Lord may this bell forever be, a tuneful voice o’er land and sea, to call thy people unto thee: Sarah Emily Horton 1903.
The Church garden was surrounded by wrought iron railings, within which a privet hedge was later cultivated. Various trees were also planted.
The Church West Tower was added by Douglas, Minshull and Muspratt in 1912 after the death of John Douglas in 1911.
The railings were present until they were removed to help the Second World War funding effort, leaving the privet hedge which started to deteriorate about the year 2000.
In September 2004, the Local Residents’ Association formed a partnership with the Parochial Church Council and was successful in seeking funding to improve the garden and reintroduce railings, in place of the hedge. Removal of the hedge prompted detailed environmental considerations including habitat issues.
The work, which commenced in April 2005, produced a better open public amenity in what is a pleasant and prominent part of the village. Benches were also added to allow people to enjoy the ambience of the new garden with its borders of native plants.
To preserve and improve wildlife, many insect friendly plants have been used and bird and bat boxes have been sited on many of the mature trees.
A specially designed butterfly attracting garden was planted and an illustrated butterfly information panel provided. Some plants were chosen to give an interesting and aromatic experience. Some areas of grass are tended and left to grow without mowing to encourage the biodiversity of the garden. Some of the organic matter from the garden is composted. Litter bins have been placed to help keep the gardens tidy.
We hope that you will enjoy the peace and serenity of this garden and visit often.
- First Sunday
- Second Sunday
- Third Sunday
- Fourth Sunday
- Fifth Sunday
1st Wednesday,07.30,Holy Communion