The Parish of Towyn

We are a parish on the North Wales coast. We see many visitors to the area in the summer months and, whether you live locally or have travelled to us, all are assured of a warm welcome.

About the church

The church, dedicated to St. Mary was consecrated on 17th June 1873. Along with the adjoining building (now a Nursing Home)and nearby school (now a Youth Club) the church was founded by Robert Bamford Hesketh of Gwrych Castle, Abergele, his daughter the Countess of Dundonald being the first patron.
The style of the church is a copy of the early decorative period from a design by G.E.Street, R.A., a renowned Victorian Architect, and the church is now listed as a Grade 2* building of notable interest.
The church comprises a gable bell tower, which rises above the choir and is lighted by louvre windows breaking the outline of the roof, which is itself varied in colour by slates laid in a diaper pattern.The interior comprises a nave and north aisle of four bays, choir with organ chamber and chancel. Entrance to the church is gained through a south porch and via the Vestry door at the north east angle of the church. This is adjacent to the Cloister; this used to connect the church with the former Vicarage, but was blocked up following the sale of the Vicarage in the 1980’s. A finely carved stone reredos (by Earp) depicts the Crucifixion with the Maries, St.John and Roman Soldiers flanked by arcading inlaid with tiles, occupies the east wall. The colouring of the reredos was undertaken in 1950. Either side of the altar there are two niches now faced with wooden frames and painted, on one side with the figure of St. David our Patron Saint and an angel and, on the other side, with a figure of St. Asaph and an angel representing our Diocese.
Above the altar is the three light Te Deum window by Hardman, an allegorical representation of the Adoration of our Lord by the Church Triumphant as represented by her saints and matyrs. The Good Shepherd and Virgin Mother are represented by two other stained glass windows.
The large picture on the south wall depicts “Christ Blessing the Children”.
Towyn suffered major flooding in February 1990 causing serious damage to the fabric of the building. It is still possible to see where the water settled for several days, in the soft stone around the main door frame and the area around the pulpit and organ chamber. It was necessary to replace the whole of the floor in the nave. The tiles were made specifically to the design of the original and the pattern reinstated in the re-laying. The nave floor tiles are now covered, but it is possible to see the original Godwin’s Lugwardine floor tiling in the chancel and choir area and around the high altar. The embossed communion plate is by Hardman whilst the organ is by Hill and Son of London.
(based upon an extract from ‘A history of the Diocese of St.Asaph’ by Rev. D.R. Thomas, M.A. Rector of St. Mary’s Cefn and published in 1874

Service Times

First Sunday
11.00,Family Service
Second Sunday
11.00,Sung Eucharist
Third Sunday
11.00,Sung Eucharist
Fourth Sunday
11.00,Sung Eucharist
Fifth Sunday
11.00,Sung Eucharist

Other Services

Wednesday
09.30,Said Eucharist

Opening Times

In June 2012 a comprehensive refurbishment programme was completed, seeing the creation of new facilities including improved accessibility. The alterations include: ramped access with automatic door, meeting room, new toilets including disabled and baby changing facilities, kitchen, new seating replacing pews, carpeting,nave altar,new lighting and heating, enhancement to the Vestry and the provision of a Parish Office (in the cloister area)

Public Transport

The Church is on the A548 and is easily accessible by car and car parking is possible on the road outside the church. For those prefering public transport,the No12 bus passes the church from either the Rhyl or Abergele directions

Access

To see this map cookies and javascript must be enabled. If you are still having trouble after having checked both of these please contact us using the link at the top of the page