Here’s some scrumptious recipes and the produce you can grow yourself or buy locally. No air miles used at all!!!
Biscuits March Recipe
Leeks in egg and lemon sauce.
An egg and lemon sauce is one of Turkey’s culinary signature tunes. A touch of sugar gives it a slight sweet-and-sour taste. The dish can be served hot or cold, with baby leeks, but larger ones can be used instead.
600g/1lb 5oz baby leeks, washed and trimmed
2 free-range egg yolks
1½ lemons, juice only
1 tsp sugar
1. Boil the leeks in salted water until tender, then drain reserving 250ml/9fl oz of the cooking water. Pour this cooking water back into the pan and bring to the boil.
2. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and lemon juice with the sugar. Pour in a little of the hot cooking water and beat well, then pour the egg and lemon mixture into the pan, beating vigorously, for seconds only until the sauce thickens slightly. Be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle. Add a little salt, if necessary, to taste.
3. Serve the leeks hot or cold with the sauce poured over
In the greenhouse and garden.
onions, parsnips, broad beans, cabbages, tomatoes, leeks, carrots, peas,
Plant potatoes and mint.
April: Sow parsley, celery, celeriac, melons,
cucumbers, sweet corn, marrows, endive, chicory.
Plant asparagus, brussel sprouts.
May: Sow French and runner beans, turnips. Plant
broccoli, spring cauliflower, beetroot,
April: Watercress, spinach, rosemary, new potatoes, spring
onions, wild garlic.
May: Asparagus, rocket, cauliflower, parsley,
chives, dill, mint, mizuna salad leaves, chard.
Warming winter recipe:
Local Seasonal Food – Turnips You can buy winter turnips all year-round, although peak season is from October to February. Find them a your local greengrocer or
farm shop.Choose the best. Choose
smaller, younger turnips for their sweetness and delicate flavour. They should
be heavy for their size, with firmly attached roots and unblemished skin. If
still attached, the leaves should be bright green and fresh-looking.
Turnip gratin with cider, cream & bacon
Young turnips work best in this wintry side dish. Easy to
make, tastes wonderful and goes with any meat, especially a roast. Serves 4.
Prep: 20 mins Cooking
time: 30 mins
- 284ml pot double cream
- 100ml cider
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 750g young turnips , peeled and sliced
- 6 slices back bacon , cut into small pieces
- Heat the
oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the cream and cider into a large pan and
simmer for a couple of minutes. Season then add the mustard and turnip
slices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fry the
bacon until crisp. Tip the turnip mix and bacon into a gratin dish,
leaving some bacon for the top. Cook for 25-30 minutes until golden and
Cabbage – White, red, savoy
Leeks, brussel sprouts, kale, carrots, turnips.
Finish pruning apple and pear trees to get more
light and air into their frameworks.
Plant rhubarb in well manured ground, and cover
established plants intended for forcing with a rhubarb pot or light-proof bucket.
Strawberries will benefit from a protective mulch.
If not done in November, mulch plants now with straw.