Unfortunately in recent years with diminishing numbers, it was no longer possible to maintain all the church buildings in the Parish, and a reluctant decision was taken to close St Andrew’s.
A brief history of the church follows:
The foundation stone was laid on November 2nd 1908. The site was purchased for £750, and initial building cost of the nave was £1469. In 1925 the Chancel, organ chamber and vestry were added at a cost of £2930.
Construction: the walls are of uncoursed ashlar limestone with a rock faced finish. There are sandstone dressings to windows and copings, and the roofs are of green Westmoreland slate.
The Nave is 72’ long by 25’ wide and has an open timbered ceiling of six bays. The Chancel has three bays and has a carved oak reredos, altar rails and prayer desk.
Stained Glass Windows: The East window depicts Christ at Emmaus, with the outer lights representing St David and St Asaph. The West window shows St Andrew at the Sea of Galilee when he heard Christ’s invitation. The St Francis window shows the saint with signs of the Stigmata. The Memorial window represents Christ as the ‘Divine Healer’. The Nativity window was presented by Lyndon School in 1958.
Jubilee Hall was built in 1960, the cost of £3000 being mostly raised by parishioners.
Notable benefactors of St Andrew’s Church include Mr David Gamble who was instrumental in the creation of the church, the Robinson family and the Bird family.