History of St. Illtud, Llantood

Brief history of St. Illtud.
The Church on the outskirts of Llantood hamlet stands on elevated ground between Llantood Farm and the A487. As we flit past between Cardigan and Eglwyswrw, little do we realise the effort behind building this little Church.
The Church is dedicated to St. Illtud, a prominent member of the early Celtic Church. He is credited as the founder of the prestigious teaching monastery at Llanilltud Fawr ( Llantwit Major ) in the Vale of Glamorgan.
The present Church dates from the 19th century. The August 22nd, 1884 edition of th Western Mail mentions that in 1820 the Church was one of those plain barn- like buildings so common in country parts.
By 1876 plans were in motion to improve the building. £875 was the estimated cost ( an extortionate sum in those days in a rural parish ). David Davies from Penrhiwllan was appointed as the architect, and according to the Vicar he was an experienced masn who had built many handsome churches and schoolrooms in the Principality. The challenge was daunting the anticipated cost by 1880 was £1035! Yet, the members persisted in fundraising and by 1884 the building was complete and the Church was consecrated. It appears the Evan Evans of Eglwyswrw was the builder under the supervision of David Davies the architect. The Church is of the same dimension as the original one, but the site was moved 7ft. northwards to allow for a vestry without disturbing graves. It was built of blue Tredefaid stones with bath stones for the window surrounds , gable crosses etc. The 14 windows have blue margin glass. The chancel is tiled with Minton and Hollins tiles, with tiles from the Cardigan Mercantile Co. elsewhere.
The bell turret is at the West end and a holy water stoup can be seen in the outer porch.
The surrounding burial ground contains memorial stones, which bear witness to the antiquity of the place as an early Christian site.