When Cardiff started expanding to the west in the 1930’s the Vicar of Llandaff, Canon D Arkill-Jones, began exploring the possibilities of opening a mission church in Fairwater
Sunday School was started in the Norbury Institute under the Rev. Lloyd Davies. Later Mt Cartwright (after whom Cartwright Lane is called) gave a plot of land for a church. Alderman Frewer added to this land and paid for the conveyancing. The Earl of Plymouth laid the foundation stone on 3rd October 1936 and was dedicated by Bishop Timothy Rees.
The completed Church was dedicated on 30th January 1937; Mr Harry Jones & Mr George Rolfs became the first Church wardens in Easter of that year and Rev H G Hurlow became curate of Llandaff with special oversight for Fairwater. Rev Hurlow retained this position until 1948 when Rev W D Davies became curate-in-charge.
Rev & Mrs Davies lived in Llandaff Vicarage until the Parsonage was ready in 1951. 1951 also saw the installation of the choir pew fronts and the opening of the Church hall by the Most Reverend J Morgan, Archbishop of Wales.
At the suggestion of the Bishop (Right Reverend G H Simon) plans were drawn up to extend the Church and services were held in the Church hall while work was undertaken. The extended Church was consecrated on 28th October 1961.
The new clergy and choir stalls were dedicated on 28th October 1964 and are the work of R Thompson, woodcarver, and bear his trademark : the mouse.