The two townships of Wigfair and Meiriadog, forming part of the parish of St Asaph, were gazetted as a new parish by an Order in Council on the 7th February 1865, and the living was by an Order in Council on 29th June 1866 constituted into a rectory. The parish church of St Mary was consecrated by Bishop Short on September 3rd 1864.
The church is built in the Early English style of the early 13th century from designs of Mr B Ferrey F.S.A. Its plan is cruciform and consists of an apse, nave and two transepts, with a porch on the south wall. The north transept is screened off as a vestry and the south as the organ chamber.
The material, even the marble steps and columns of the chancel with their foliated capitals, is of native limestone, quarried and worked on the spot, save only the groined roof of the chancel, which is of Bath, and the pulpit of Ruabon stone.
The reredos of Florentine marble is in three panels, representing the Virgin Mary with her dead Son surrounded by a cross. This is a copy of the original, which is to be found at “Albergo dei Poveri”, the “Inn of the Poor” in Genoa. It is a memorial donated by the mother of Edward Watkin Williams-Wynn, Lieut. Scots Guards, who was drowned in the River Thames at Windsor in 1880.
The font, of white Carrara marble, representing a kneeling angel bearing a scallop shell, emblematic of Christian Pilgrimage, is a copy of that in Copenhagen cathedral by Thorwaldsen, and was executed by his pupil Stein. It was a gift of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, 6th Bart. M.P. There is also a copy in Barmouth.
St. Mary’s Church has fine examples of stained glass by Lavers and Barraud. The five lancet windows in the sanctuary represent the Infancy, the Mocking, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, and Commission by the Lord Jesus. These are dedicated to the memory of Col. Herbert Watkin Williams-Wynn.
The stained glass in the west lancets represents Our Lord as “The Light of the World” and “Blessing the Children”. These are surmounted by a rose window which has the face of Our Lord with Cherubim at its centre. Four lights depict angels, and four smaller lights have the emblems of the four evangelists, the man, the lion, the ox and the eagle.