St Chad’s Church with its Chad window and the ancient site of St Chad’s Well 260 metre away by a field footpath form an inspiring pilgrimage .
The earliest known documentary evidence for a Hanmer connection with St Chad is in the charter of Leofric, Earl of Chester AD 1043, (Thorpe’s Diplomatarium Anglicanum p.352) in which he bestows upon his newly founded monastery at Coventry the vills amongst others of Hulhtune and Chadeleshunte, and a moiety of the Vill of Eatun upon the river Dee. The latter covers the site of the ancient Bangor, while the former are Halton, (a name still remaining) and Chad-hull, the former name of Hanmer.”
vills – village communities
Hulhtune – Halghton (part of Hanmer parish towards Bangor)
Eatun – Eyton (A daughter church in Bangor Parish)
Chadhull/Chadhill – early name of the hill on which stands Hanmer church)
Clwyd Records Office Misc papers D/CL/51
The present church was established in stone on its rise above Hanmer mere by the 12th century. Chadwell, which is just off the footpath between the village and Hanmer Mill used to be highly valued in the neighbourhood. There was a custom of dressing it with flowers on Hanmer Wake Sunday – the first after St. Chad’s Day. This is recorded in the notebooks of Canon Matthew Henry Lee the Vicar of Hanmer in the late 19th century.
Notebook no. 2 Clwyd Records Office, The Old Rectory, Harwarden
St Chad’s Church
Chad is portrayed on the Hanmer Churchyard Cross and in the east window of the Hanmer Lady Chapel. This wonderful window by C E Kempe was installed as a pair with the south window in 1901. The representation of Chad is the classic one in which he is depicted dressed as a bishop and holding a model of Lichfield cathedral in his hand.
Entered by Bill 30/08/13, last updated 19th December 2019