20th Century Restoration Works
In 1911 the porch at the South entrance with its stone-vaulted roof was made Neo-Perpendicular when it was restored by Prothero, Phillott and Barnard in 1911.
In 1921 the 19th Century organ was replaced by one whose pipes were housed in a case which is still standing at the west end of the nave. The resulting reduction in size of the choir organ case allowed the restoration of the Lady Chapel in 1921 by Sir Thomas G Jackson. The chapel was restored in memory of the men of Mold who fell in the 1914-18 War.
Discovery by cleaners of dead beetles on the pews presaged the 1950’s restoration. All the wood had to be treated for beetle damage. The wooden floor of the nave was removed and the floor beneath the pews was concreted. Pews that were badly damaged by beetle and woodworm were destroyed. The surviving pews were returned to the nave and in a re-designed seating area. The reduction on the number of pews resulted in the opening up of the Gwysaney Chapel on the south side of the Church. The roof was re-leaded and the floors in the aisles were stone-flagged.
The outside of the Church was also radically altered. Most of the old box tombstones and headstones were removed as they had become unsightly with age and difficult to maintain. The entire area was re-lawned and the present stone wall rebuilt because the old retaining wall was exposed by the demolition of buildings and road widening of the High Street.
One box tombstone of particular interest marks the grave of Richard Wilson RA, who has been called the father of British landscape painting.
The latest restoration carried out between 1998 and 2001 comprised the following works: repairs to the roof over the chancel and sanctuary; re-roofing of the area over the nave and repair of underlying woodwork; re-leading of the sanctuary windows and also windows in the south side of the nave; replacement of old window guards and introduction of guards to windows previously unprotected; installation of a comprehensive sound enhancement and amplification system with an induction loop; complete re-pointing and repair of the stonework in the tower.
In 2005 the original peal of 6 bells was increased to 8. On Thursday 15th September at the Royal Eijsbouts Foundry at Asten in Holland 2 new bells were cast to bring the ring up to a peal of 8. A new treble bearing the name “Melangell” is the gift of the Rev’d Canon John Whelan and the new tenor bearing the name “Cloch y Clochganwyr” (Ringers’ Bell) is the gift of the ringers themselves. The foundry had also recast a replacement of our existing tenor (the new 7th). This bell was cast later than the original 1732 bells and has proved to be of extremely poor quality. Its replacement or “recast” carries a facsimile copy of the original inscription together with the current date and names of the Vicar and Churchwardens. The new peal was dedicated by Bishop John Davies, Bishop of St Asaph, following the Confirmation service on December 4th, 2005.