The “very poor steeple” referred to in the Rural Dean’s report of 1749 may well have been a Pre-perpendicular one, perhaps a remnant from the earlier 12th Century church. Church records show that this tower along with the fabric of the whole church was giving rise to some anxiety. In 1768, some 20 years after the Rural Dean’s report the tower was eventually demolished and the present tower was built during 1768-73 by Joseph Turner, an architect who lived at The Elms in Hawarden and who was responsible for Bridge Gate on Lower Bridge Street in Chester, the County Gaol in Flint and the old gaol at Ruthin.
Turner created a tower in the Perpendicular style to match the simple elegance of the existing church. He used the same buff coloured Cefn sandstone as had originally been used and he even continued the procession of carved animals around the tower so as to further blend the old with the new.
The tower incorporated a peal of 6 bells by Rudhalls of Gloucester which had been cast 40 years previously.