Getting Married – Some frequently asked questions

All questions are good questions so if there is a question you’d like to ask that isn’t answered here please do contact the Rev’d Hugh Burgess (who, incidentally, likes to be called “Hugh”!)

Can I be married in Church?  If one of you lives in the parish then you have a legal right to be married in Church.  If neither of you lives in the parish then it may still be possible for you to be married in the parish church but you will need to meet the legal criteria.  Please speak to Hugh Burgess, the Priest in Charge.

Where can I get more information?  The Church in Wales Web Site will give you more details including links to possible Hymns and Bible Readings as well as legal requirements and links to other helpful sites.

What are “Banns”? Banns are a public notice announcing that your marriage is to take place.  These are read in church over three consecutive Sundays in the church where you are to be married and, if one of you lives in a different parish, in that parish church.  (There may be a fee for this).  The Minister of the other parish will give you a Certificate that the Banns have been read. 

I have been married before and am divorced, can I get married in Church?  Different clergy take different views on this but in the Halkyn Mountain Parishes we take a sympathetic view recognising that God is, first and foremost a God of love. It is therefore possible to be married again in church but please talk to the Minister (Priest in Charge) about this at an early stage. 

How much will it cost?  The fees for a wedding in any of the three churches of the Halkyn Mountain Group of Parishes is around £350.  There may be additional charges but the fees will be agreed at the first meeting with the Minister who will marry you.