USUAL SUNDAY SERVICE: 1000
The church was formerly St. Mary’s, and is still dedicated to both St. Twrog and St. Mary according to Welsh Heritage. The rector from 1572 to 1624 was the poet and biblical translator Edmund Prys. He is buried inside the church.
The building was substantially rebuilt in 1814, so recently celebrated the 200th anniversary, and had further major work in 1896. The church is near the river, behind the houses and pub! Access is by the footpath from the lych gate which dates from 1896.
The building is listed and has its own Wikipedia page.
Saint Twrog’s stone, the Maen Twrog, is by the main door, adjacent to the oldest (17th Century) gravestone. Legend tells us that Saint Twrog threw the stone from the top of the nearby hill and smashed a pagan altar. The 1811 Dictionary of Wales tells us that “near one end of the village stands a great upright stone”, which doesn’t quite match the 3′ 11″ high stone of today! However, the 1913 Ancient Monuments in Monmouthshire tells us that the stone may have been elsewhere previously, but “no ancient tradition attaches to this stone”!
Link to Map
1811 Dictionary of Wales:-
1913 Ancient Monuments in Monmouthshire:-