Llanllwch is a small hamlet that’s around two miles west from the historical town of Carmarthen. Llanllwch has a Church (St Mary’s/St Luke’s) and its own bus service from the village to Carmarthen daily.
The Parish of Llanllwch –
The Parish of Llanllwch was originally a part of the historic Parish of St. Peter. Since the boundaries of St. Peter’s Parish formed the boundaries of the borough of Carmarthen, Llanllwch lay within the Borough. By an Order of the Queen in Council, dated November 10th, 1843, the old parish of St. Peter was divided into three districts: St. Peter’s, St. David’s and Llanllwch. Subsequently, In July 1857, these were formed into separate parishes. In 1974, under local government reorganization, the Borough of Carmarthen ceased to exist as such, but since its boundaries were retained, Llanllwch still remained within the authority of Carmarthen Town Council.
The Manor of Llanllwch –
From Norman times the Llanllwch area formed part of the royal demesne lands attached to Carmarthen castle, supplying the latter with food and produce. In the fourteenth century, however, the demesne lands, sometimes referred to the Manor of Llanllwch (Manor Crescent + Manor Way), ceased to be worked directly from the castle and were farmed out for rent to customary tenants called “gabblers”; or “gafol-men”. They paid six-pence an acre for their holdings.
The Black Death –
When the Black Death reached Llanllwch in 1349-50 all of the tenants except one died and the lands were left waste and uncultivated. Over fifty years later, during the rebellion of Owain Glyn Dwr, the hamlet was ‘totally destroyed and devastated,’ according to the castle Chamberlain’s accounts of 1407-1409.
The Mill, Llanllwch (Medieval Water Mill) –
Located outside the walls of Carmarthen Town were several water mills for grinding corn. The first reference to a mill at Llanllwch appears in 1300, but in the ‘Minister’s Accounts’ for 1412-1413 the mill is referred to as being ‘totally destroyed’. This destruction was also the result of the Owain Glyn Dwr revolt.