St Mary’s, the Parish Church of Burry Port, is the finest building in the town and a landmark for miles around. It was a gift to the people of Burry Port by the Elkington Family of Birmingham who came to the town in the mid nineteenth century to establish a copperworks industry near the harbour. The growing town needed a new church to serve both an exploding population in this area of the ancient parish of Pembrey and also a workforce who had moved to the area and who could not speak Welsh. The completed large and well proportioned Church, built in a beautiful French gothic style, was opened on 9 December 1877. Its Architect was Wilson, Wilcox & Wilson of Bath and the job cost just £7,000! The Church remained a ?Chapel of Ease? of the parish of Pembrey until it became the Parish Church of the newly created parish of Burry Port with Pwll in 1959. Today, Burry Port is one of the largest parishes in the St David’s Diocese and continues to grow.