The Parish Church shares a link with St Paul’s Cathedral through its memorial to the heroic officers of the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards who died at the battle of Inkerman in the Crimean War.
St Paul’s Cathedral has a marble monument to eight officers who lost their lives in the battle. The Parish Church has a larger similarly designed monument, but created in bronze, located in the sanctuary to one of the officers from Llanelly, Lieutenant Colonel James Charles Murray Cowell.
The monument was created by famous sculptor Baron Carlo Marochetti.
The inscription reads:
In memory of
James Charles Murray Cowell
Eldest son of Lieut Colonel Stepney Cowell Stepney of Llanelly
By his second wife, Euphemia
Daughter of General John Murray, of Glenalla, Ireland
Some years Page of Honor To King William IV and Queen Victoria
Afterwards Lieutenant Colonel in the Coldstream Guards.
He fell, aged 30, leading part of his regiment
against the Russian columns at the battle of Inkerman,
November 5th 1854.
He lies buried on Cathcart’s Hill, Near Sebastopol,
with seven of his brother officers:
Brothers in Arms, in Glory, And The Grave.
The Monument at St Paul’s Cathedral:
The officers of the Coldstream Guards noted on the St Paul’s memorial:
Lt Col Hon T . Vesey Dawson
Capt Lionel D. Mackinnon
Lieut. Edward A. Disbrowne
Lt Col. J.C. Murray Cowell
Capt. The Hon Granville Charles Cornwalis Eliot
Capt. Frederick H Ramsden
Lieut. C Hubert Greville
The monument at the Parish Church:
Special thanks to St Paul’s Cathedral for permission to feature the photograph.