St Gwynogs Church
St Gwynog’s Church in Llangennech is an ancient building of stone in the early English style, and consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, transept and north porch with a western bell turret containing a peal of eight bells. Within the Church are several large, stained glass windows, the largest and most imposing being the east window, directly over the altar. The Church has been rebuilt several times, the first building was erected on the present site in 1345. The oldest Church registers date back to 1742.
In the churchyard there is a yew tree which is reputed to be between 450 and 500 years old. The only remaining relic from the original Church, and the oldest surviving relic in the village is a stone font. This carved stone font dates back to 1345 and was restored in the 15th century to its present size. It is still used to this day.
The current church is a Grade II listed building, considered a well-detailed simple exercise in Gothic Revival, in a church of urban scale which is a prominent feature in the village. It was designed by E M Bruce Vaughan of Cardiff, in the Decorated Style. It was constructed in two phases and completed in 1908. In the first phase of the restoration, in 1900-1901, the old porch and south and west walls of the nave and aisle were removed, and the north wall reduced to a little above ground level. The present nave and aisle were constructed. In 1907-08 the old chancel and vestry were demolished and the present chancel and vestry (including organ chamber) constructed. The tower is also thought to have been added at this time.
The Church has been recently renovated with the addition of a porch and disabled toilet. The area to the west of the building has had the pews removed and so can be used in an imaginative way for social functions and tea and coffee after the service.
Our normal weekly services are
Sunday 10.30am Sung Eucharist (3rd Sunday Bilingual)
Wednesday 10.30am Holy Eucharist