Organising your Church Wedding

Discover all you need to know about arranging a church wedding at

Banns and Licences

Most people who marry in church do so after having had their banns called. This is a legal procedure which involves announcing the forthcoming marriage in public services in church during three consecutive Sundays shortly before the event. To be married by banns, one of the partners must live in the parish / have a qualifying reason to be married in the Parish or one of the partners must habitually worship at one of the Churches in the Parish and so be on the Electoral Roll of the church. An alternative is to be married by common licence. The same qualifications apply but there is no need to announce the marriage in public and no need for a time to elapse before ceremony.

Church Law and Civil Law

In order for people to be married in a Church in Wales church they must be:

# over 18 (over 16 with parental consent)

# not closely related to each other

# baptised (christened).

Music and Bells

Marriages within the Parish may be said (i.e. without music) or you may have hymns accompanied by the organ, or you may have the organ together with the church choir. If you require the Choir please inform the vicar in the first instance.

The Church possesses bells. The clergy will advise on the cost of the different possibilities.. The church organist will be pleased to advise about choice of music. If you wish to engage your own organist, a fee will still be charged for the organ. In addition we shall require assurance that the organist chosen is competent.


You are welcome to decorate the church with flowers except during Lent, and certain other major festivals when the church will have been decorated especially by our own flower group. During Lent you will still be able to bring in stands of flowers which can be removed after the service.


Most couples like to have a chance to ‘Walk through” the service in advance. This usually takes place a few days before the ceremony. The bride and groom should be present. It is desirable that the best man and chief bridesmaid, Bride’s Father , ushers and bridal party should be there. Any other participants are welcome. The best man should deliver the banns certificate (if one of the parties is resident in another parish). Church fees are payable at the time of rehearsal.

On the Day

The Bridegroom should arrive about 1/2 hour before the service is due to start.

The bride should arrive on time. No guarantee can be given that the choir, bells, organist or clergy will necessarily be available for late arrivals. Photography is not allowed during the service itself. Shots can be posed afterwards. Also shots can be taken of the procession up and down the aisle, and signing the registers. Smoking is not allowed in church. Confetti is allowed outside the church.

Please note that the church’s orders of service should not be taken away.


Fees are reviewed in April each year. Fees are charged for calling banns, taking the service, registering the marriage, issuing a certificate and for the use of the church and the services of the caretaker, organist, choir and bell ringers as appropriate. The clergy will advise you on the exact cost of your wedding.

Contacting the Clergy

Revd Canon Huw will want to see both bride and groom at least 3 or 4 times before the wedding. He will see you prior to the service to run through the arrangements. He would like to see you in church at Sunday Services, but especially to hear the banns being called. He is available at other times to give any advice or help you may need.

To book an appointment with Rev Canon Huw Mosford to discuss booking your wedding, please contact Mrs Jayne Suter at the Bro Lliedi LMA Office by phoning 01554 744160 or emailing