Holy Trinity Church – Felinfoel
Holy Trinity Church is prominently sited in the village of Felinfoel.
|FELINFOEL, Holy Trinity (1856-1858) Carmarthenshire|
|Parish of LLANELLY, St. Elli, St. David’s diocese
Grant Reason: New Church Outcome: ApprovedProfessionals
PENSON, Richard Kyrke: b. c.1815 – d. 1885 of Chester (Architect)Minutes: Volume 15 page 209, Volume 16 pages 37,73
No plan exists in the archive
The Church is surrounded on all sides with a rubble boundary wall and is approached through a Gothic style timber lych gate which features a tiled roof and steel gates.
It has a large graveyard to the south and a Celtic cross granite war memorial in the churchyard.
Felinfoel church was built largely at the expense of the Nevill family and local employers. It was designed by R K Penson, the County Surveyor, and is a leading work by a well-known mid-nineteenth century architect. The church was designed for 350 persons and completed in 1857. It was consecrated by Bishop Thirlwall in January 1858. At first, it was a chapel-of-ease under Llanelli, served by a curate, but in 1878 the curate, the Revd J W Roberts, applied to constitute Felinfoel as a parish and in the following year he became the first vicar.
The church has undergone a great deal of restoration including re-roofing and the cladding of the spire in copper. Before this the middle stage of the spire in timber was visible, with louvres and five trefoils on each face. It appears the upper stage of the spire was originally shingled, the lower stage clad in slates.