About the Parish

The Parish of Cwmafan is in the Rural Deanery of Margam and the Diocese of Llandaff in the Church in Wales. It is also known as the Parish of Michaelston-super-Avon.
The parish, in its present form, was created on the 20th August 2003 when the remaining area of the Parish of Oakwood was merged into the Parish of Cwmavon and renamed the Parish of Cwmafan. However the area has been a parish in its own right since 1563 when it started keeping records for the Parish of Michaelstone Super Afan.
Situated in the Afan Valley between the towns of Port Talbot and Neath, it encompasses the villages of Cwmafan and Pontrhydyfen.
The old ecclesiastical name for the parish was Llanfihangel Ynys Afan, which translates into English as The Church dedicated to St Michael standing in the pasture lands of Afan.