St Cadoc’s

Aberpergwm

St Cadoc’s is the parish church for Glynneath (SA11 5RE), but it began life as the private chapel of the nearby Williams family of Aberpergwm Estate. As such it is a good example of a Welsh Gentry chapel from the Georgian period, with simple architecture. Evidence from Saxon’s map of Glamorgan 1567 and the ancient name of the surrounding area as Cae Capel (Chapel Field) indicate that it was the site of Christian worship, prior to the current building, which is dated around 1810.

Service Times

Sunday
9.30am Holy Eucharist
Second Sunday
9.30am Holy Eucharist
Third Sunday
9.30am Holy Eucharist
Fourth Sunday
9.30am Holy Eucharist
Fifth Sunday
10.30am Holy Eucharist at one of the three churches

Other Services

Every Wednesday 11.15am Communion Service, Church Hall, Edward St Glynneath, followed by tea and/or coffee.

Opening Times

Rees Williams made improvements to his estates and commissioned the present Aberpergwm Church to be built in the early nineteenth century (the main body of the present building appears to have been constructed between 1800 and 1810). His son, William Williams, returned from a sixteen year tour of Europe and Asia and in 1837 used money from his new wife’s family to re-design Aberpergwm Church and add the present chancel area.
Only in recent years was it established that the central 4 panels for the East Stained Glass window come from the cloisters of the former Premonstratensian abbey of Steinfeld in the Effiel area of Germany. They were painted between c. 1530-1542 and show abbots and monks being presented to, or by, saints. The panels were removed under order of Napoleon to raise money, bought eventually by a British man who sold them on to gentry. Other panels from Steinfeld are now on show in the Victoria and Albert museum, making this window quite unique in Wales.

There are benches (not pews) for the congregation as in catholic churches abroad, a staircase to the organ loft (concealed by a screen) would have been in the style of Greek churches.

Restoration work at St Cadoc’s was completed in 2001 and included work on the roof and bell tower. In 2003, a toilet and kitchen area were installed and in 2007 a new car park area was created. In 2011 we commence a project to conserve and restore the stained glass and memorials as well as protecting the East End of the building from water ingression.
In 1993 the Welsh Office classified St Cadoc’s church as a Grade II* Listed Building and is described by CADW (the heritage group in Wales) as being largely perpendicular Gothic, a long rectangular aisle-less church built of local split stone and rubble with deep red sandstone dressings. The church contains a fine interior with vaulted plaster ceilings that are ribbed with leaf bosses in the chancel, reached through a Neo-Norman arch with carved head. Outside the church is a memorial to the Williams family, known as the Wedding Cake Memorial, which also has Grade II listing status.

The Lamb and Flag is a symbol which is to be found in many aspects of the parish. It is the emblem of the Williams family and has found its way into many features of the church and the community of Glynneath such as the Town council, Cwmnedd Primary School, Glynneath Male Voice Choir, the Rugby and Football clubs and various pubs.

Public Transport

Access

To see this map cookies and javascript must be enabled. If you are still having trouble after having checked both of these please contact us using the link at the top of the page