David was born in Sutton, Cambridgeshire in 1949. He attended the King’s School, Ely and studied music at King’s College, Cambridge. Subsequently he completed a PhD thesis on the Elizabethan and Jacobean motet and became a lecturer in Music in Cardiff University in 1980. He has published articles on Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Van Wilder and other subjects and retired in 2003. He has been playing the organ (and intermittently directing the choir) in St Teilo’s since the late 1990s. His transposing skill at the keyboard is impressive.