centre of Christian worship since 1173
It has been a centre of Christian worship since 1173 when there is a record of it described as a chapel belonging to Tewkesbury Abbey. However two Christian headstones of the 11th-12th century have been found in the parish, and this together with the raised previously circular churchyard, suggest a pre-Norman date for the church is more correct. Of the pre-Norman church there are no certain remains, and it was probably built of mud. There is evidence that this church was rebuilt on a much grander scale c1186. But it is somewhere in the period of the 14th – 15th cent that we must place a large-scale rebuilding of Laleston church.
The presence of internal batter along the long walls of the nave suggest that the standing fabric is relatively early, though none of the windows survive from that date. The earliest surviving feature is the chancel arch, dating from the 14th cent. A mid-15th cent date is suggested for the tower and porch. The building has had a chequered history for in 1857 it was unroofed and badly damaged by a gale, especially the tower, and was subsequently restored by Pritchard and Seddon. However it is unclear from an examination of the fabric whether the upper part of the tower was taken down at that time and subsequently rebuilt as has been suggested.
Inside it is clear that the original floor of the church was some 18ins lower than the present floor. Sometime between 1650-1750 burials were allowed to take place inside the church, thus raising the level of the original floor. However, a small part of that original floor remains at the base of the tower, and the original stone benches around the walls can also be seen there, as well as in the porch.