Rood(now non-existent)

The doorway, high up on the north wall, is all that is left of the rood screen that must have been across the chancel arch at some time. Although we have no evidence to corroborate our surmise it is probable that any screen here would have been destroyed by Edward VI’s (1547-1553) Commissioners. It probably would have consisted of a wide beam of wood on which there would have been a number of candle sticks hence the need of the door to allow for someone of get on to the beam to light the candles for “high days and holy days” [holidays]. It is probable that there would also have been a crucifix with statues of Our Lady and St John on either side of it.