The Parish of Griffithstown is part of the Benefice of Panteg and Griffithstown. For current news and details please visit the Benefice of Pateg and Griffithstown Website
Griffithstown is an ecclesiastical parish formed in May 1898 and includes Sebastopol. Fifteen years before this date the church had taken root in the then young and small township of Griffithstown. Services were held in a small building, situated near the present Griffithstown infants’ school. Services were held regularly and Church life grew strong and vigorous in this small town. It soon became evident that a larger building would be needed and toward the end of 1886 Mr J C Hanbury of Pontypool Park offered the vicar the site for a permanent church in Griffithstown. The Church was completed by March 1888 and was then consecrated for worship.
St. Oswald’s Church is the daughter Church of St. Hilda’s. The Church, a red brick building, was originally an infant school. It became surplus to the requirements of Monmouthshire County Council in the early 1900s and was handed back to the parish. After twelve months conversion work the Church was dedicated on 29th March 1915. It is situated on Wern Road with the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal running alongside the grounds .
We are a small friendly Parish who extend a welcome to all – whether visitors or individuals from our local community.