Sunday Morning Services at 11.15
OS Land-ranger grid reference
|Located in the small, pretty conservation village of Lower Machen, the Church Is believed to have been founded during the Celtic period in the 6th century. The Grade II* listed church of St. Michaels is first mentioned in documentary evidence in 1102. The 19th century cast iron entrance gates and late medieval cross in the churchyard south of the Church are both Grade II listed.
The Church, which is renowned for its fine acoustics, hosts the superb Lower Machen Music Festival each summer
The oldest parts of the Church visible today are the 13th century chancel and the tower said to date from the 15th century. Many changes have been made to the building over the years. The appearance of the Church will have varied over the centuries. Parish records tell us that in 1745, a payment was made for the “Carriage of 1500 stone tyles 12 shillings, 500 lathes 10 shillings/-, Ale for the tyler 1 shilling….. scaffold poles 4 shillings”.
In 1807/8 there was significant work “to draw down old roof” and “make roof and ceiling”. New pews were installed and £6 was paid for “making a Cornish” (a plaster cornice). Around the time of the coming of Revd. Augustus Morgan there was a great deal of expenditure in 1827-30, including repairs to churchyard walls and the bell tower.
The roof was once again replaced during the 20 century. In 2018 the nave and chancel tiles were replaced with Welsh slate with the help of the National Lottery Heritage Fund. The works were undertaken by Islwyn Pugh Construction Ltd of Abergavenny.
This beautiful church has close connections with the Morgan Family of Tredegar House about five miles away. The 18th century Morgan Family Chapel is described by CADW as ‘remarkable’, and is the main reason for the grade ll* status of this church. There are 11 hatchments connected with the family on the walls of the nave and the Chapel contains many fine monuments which are of huge historic importance.