The Bells

A description of the Bells at St Mellons Parish Church

St Mellons Parish Church has a fine ring of six bells which were recast and rehung in 2006. The church is proud to say that our team of ringers believe that, having called God’s people to worship, they should be worshipping members of the Christian Family themselves.

Ringers meet for practise on a Friday evening 7.30-9.00. A warm welcome is extended to learners and experienced ringers alike. The Tower Captain is Jen Mundy – see under “Contact”.

Bells are rung in praise of the Lord twice monthly for the 11am Eucharist and on other occasions like weddings, peals and quarter peals.

Each bell has been baptised, according to tradition, and inscribed. Two date from 1913 (the last recasting) and the other four from 1713. Inscriptions are as follows:

No 1 (Treble): Warner Serial No 254. John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. The gift of the Parishioners, The Revd Stephen Jackson, Vicar, Matthew Cope Esq JP, William Jones Esq Churchwardens

No 2: Warner Serial No 258. John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. The gift of JF Matthysens, Witla Court St Mellons 1913

No 3: Warner Serial No 247. Recast by John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. God Bless our Benefactors EE 1713. The gift of Henry Radcliffe Esq. JP, Druidstone 1913.

No 4: Warner Serial No 252. Recast by John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. God Bless our Queen and Church EE 1713. The gift of Matthew Cope Esq. JP, Quarry Hill, St Mellons 1913.

No 5: Warner Serial No 262. Recast by John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. Thomas Morgan Esq. Griffith Thomas Rector EE FECIT 1713. The gift of Mrs Maud M Williams, Llanrumney Hall, St Mellons 1913

No 6 (Tenor): Warner Serial No 250. Recast by John Warner & Sons – Bell Founders London 1913. Lewis David – John Jones, Church Wardens EE 1713. The gift of Joseph Allen, Brynhyfryd, St Mellons 1913.

 I am grateful to Jen Mundy for the inscriptions on the bells.