A precis of Mr Fred Hando’s article about the history of St Brigid, dated 1955.
The oldest object in the church is the font, but the greatest treasure is in the early English saddleback tower – the smaller of the two bells (22″ diameter). The Angelus bell, is insribed partly in Roman, partly Lombardic lettering, ‘Ave Maria Gracia Pln’ and decorated with a cross. When this bell was installed, the manor at St Brides was woned by Sir Thomas de Huntley and inaddition to the Manor, there was a mill, a bakehouse, a smithy and a vicarage. The church which originally consisted of nave, chancel and two aisles was largely rebuilt in 1846 without the aisles.
Inside the church is a very ancient mermorial stone, or coffin lid, upon the whole lenght of which is carved the shape of a knight’s sword.
In the churchyard is a Preaching Cross, which was restored to commemorate the Jubliee of Queen Victoria in 1897.
The roof was replaced in 1956-57 and this remains in place today.