Dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, the present structure was probably built in the late 12th century. The entrance arch is a fine example of the late Norman period. The outer dogtooth moulding and the inner moulding of deeply cut chevrons are considered to be rare in Wales.
On the left hand pillar can be seen the remains of a scratch dial. A memorial tablet in white marble can also be found dedicated to Petty Officer Edgar Evans, RN, who died in 1912 with Captain Scott on the tragic return journey after they reached the South Pole. It was erected by his widow, Lois Evans (formerly Beynon) and bears the inscription: ‘To seek, to strive, to find and not to yield.’
Pastoral care for weddings, funerals and occasional offices, visiting and sick communions is available from Rev Canon Peter Brooks. Tel 232928 or
email: peter.brooks256 at btinternet.com
1st Sunday, 04 February Holy Eucharist
3rd Sunday, 18 February Morning Worship
4th Sunday, 25 February Holy Eucharist
St Mary’s is open throughout the year every day from about 9am. In the winter months it closes about 4pm, slightly later between April and October.
You can access a virtual tour of the church on Googlemaps – Streetview.
Buses travel to Rhossili from Swansea.