The beginings of St Michael’s Church coincide with the northward growth of the Manselton estate.
St John’s Church, Hafod, was quite well situated to serve the people in the surrounding areas. However, as the Manselton estate developed, it became clear that future growth would require a church nearer at hand. In the early 1900’s, the Reverend Stephen Davys, vicar of St John’s, acquired from the Salvation Army a temporary church which was established on the corner of Robert Street and Millwood Street and became known as St Michael’s (iron) Mission Church.
By 1904, not only had the congregation outgrown its church, but the iron building had begun to let in rain. It was also the year when the new vicar of St John’s, the Reverend C Chaloner Lindsey, took the initiative to build a permanent church in Manselton. It is reported that Mr Lindsey approached Mr R Glynn Vivian and asked him to give Manselton a church. Mr Vivian duly promised the sum of £4,000 towards the building of a new church.
The site of the new church was found at the junction of the un-made Walter Road, (now Bohun Street), and Upper Major Street, (now Manor Road). Plans were drawn up by E Bruce Vaughan of Cardiff, and settled on the early English design of a double naved church to hold 700 adults. It was agreed that the church be built in Gothic style, with Pennant limestone and random rubble walling with Bath stone dressings and a traditional Welsh slate roof. The foundation stone was laid on 17 May 1905 by Miss Dulcie Vivian, and the church was consecrated on 24 January 1906.
As we have read, St Michael’s began as a sister church to St John’s, Hafod, until it became the Parish of Manselton in 1917. In the eighties, the two churches were amalgamated again, but only for a few years. Another amalgamation with St John’s followed in the mid nineties, again only lasting a few years as St John’s was joined with St Mark’s. Manselton once again returned to being a single church parish.
In November 2005, St Michael’s Manselton was amalgamated with St Luke’s Cwmbwrla to form the Parish of Manselton and Cwmbwrla. Sadly, in October 2014, final services were held at St Luke’s and the building was made redundant. Manselton & Cwmbwrla once again becoming a single church parish.
A new chapter in the life of St Michael’s began on the Feast of the Saints of Wales, Tuesday 8 November 2011, when the Right Reverend John Davies, Bishop of Swansea & Brecon opened new community facilites and re-dedicated St Michael’s Church following an extensive restoration and reordering project.