St David’s Church is in a small, rectilinear churchyard set into north slope of a valley carrying a small stream north-westwards towards the Bachawy; a remote location 2km south-west of Painscastle.
St David’s church was rebuilt in 1860, leaving virtually nothing of an earlier structure either inside or out and the only evidence of earlier structure is foundation at east end of chancel.The church consists of a nave with west belfry, chancel, and south porch and is oriented west-north-west/east-south-east, but ‘ecclesiastical east’ is adopted here for descriptive purposes.
Nave and chancel walls have a continuous chamfered plinth, though the nave is slightly wider than chancel. It has Victorian Gothic windows, but none on north side and diagonal buttresses at the west and east ends, and on south side of porch, with angle buttresses at east end of nave.
The Bell-turret is square with pyramidal roof and louvred openings.
(Thanks to Clwyd-Powys Archeological Trust)